I’m a huge fan of the incredibly nice and inspiring Dr. John Ratey and his book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain [amazon]
So much so that after he spoke at 12gurus:Health last month I decided to build my own $398 Treadmill Desk. Using different postings from the fabulous instructables website. I came up with this:
- IKEA Fredrik Desk ($149 as shown) $119 for narrower version
- Confidence Treadmill ($249 and FREE shipping with Amazon.com Prime)
- Remove the computer from the treadmill (unplug the treadmill!) first by unscrewing it (about 8 screws), then unplug the white snap-together power connector, and pull it through the metal handrail (It will slide through easily)
- A tubing cutter can remove the tubes from the treadmill. If you don’t have a tubing cutter, you can get one at your local Home Depot or Lowes, borrow one from a plumber or fence builder, or get one on Amazon.com. ( more options ). Other cutting tools may not give you as clean a cut.
- Get a monitor arm so you can adjust the height of your screen based on your position.
- Get a bar stool so someone can sit at the side of the desk. Although who sits at a desk!?